This Giving Tuesday, please consider becoming an Amani Angel. The Amani Sewing Academy is a safe haven for refugee women who seek to learn marketable sewing skills so they can begin earning income for themselves and their families.
"Stitching Lives Together - SPONSOR A STUDENT"
In September, 25 women from 10 different countries graduated from our program. Two have already started home businesses. Others have already found work in the garment industry or as members of the Amani small-scale manufacturing team.
• Currently, the Sewing Academy has a waiting list of 50 women who want to sign up for the 12-month course but lack the funds to do so. You can help. Your “Angel” donation of $50 a month for 12 months provides instruction and materials for one refugee woman to complete the Sewing Program and get started down the path of self-sufficiency. Each graduate also received an industrial-quality sewing machine to help her on her way. This year, please consider giving the gift of economic security to a refugee woman struggling to make a new life for herself and her family.
• Amani Women Center's (AWC) mission is to empower and educate refugee women through culturally tailored programs that contribute to their economic security and overall well-being. Our programs and services are linguistically and culturally appropriate to meet the needs of the different ethnicities we serve. AWC fills this important gap by providing 3 unique programs utilizing a holistic approach designed to build and sustain healthy families within the home and the community.
SPONSOR A STUDENT • With your help, we can continue serving the dire needs of the refugee community. • Looking forward and working to serve and graduate over 30 refugee women by 2024.
Our sewing program has opened up a world of opportunities for refugee women in Clarkston and surrounding cities. The possibilities are endless. The women are expressing their creative side while earning an income. Of course, there’s nothing more wonderful than the feeling of pride you get when you sew clothes for yourself or sell them as a means of income.
The Program Prepares Individuals To:
* Sew for themselves and for their families
*Join the workforce - (Employment in the garment/apparel industry)
* Start home business - sewing for the community.
* Become employed at AWC's small-scale manufacturing.
* Advance contractual team (Mostly Alumnae) sew for AWC's social enterprise (Johari Africa).
* Train to become an assistant teacher and graduate as an instructor teaching at AWC.
The Amani Sewing Academy program provides a safe space with sewing machines, industrial machines, a fabric room, instructors, counselors, case workers, and AWC Community Ambassadors. Students get a sewing kit, notions, and all accessories.
At the successful completion of the program, participants are awarded a certificate of completion and a new sewing machine. Jobs referrals and application assistance is offered to graduates as jobs become available. We are creating marketable skills so the women can earn income for themselves and help support their families and sustain their homes.