Furkids Animal Rescue and Shelters
Furkids was founded in 2002 by Samantha Shelton after she found a stray mother cat with kittens and was unable to find a shelter that would take them in. She was spurred to action because of the challenging pet overpopulation problem that exists in Georgia. Today, Furkids is proud of the following facts:
· We operate Georgia’s largest no-kill cage-free cat shelter, housing 275+ cats per day.
· In 2011, Furkids began managing SmallDog Rescue and caring for hundreds of small dogs yearly at another shelter location in Alpharetta, GA.
· Hundreds of additional cats and dogs are cared for in our extensive foster care network.
· We operate a house exclusively for FIV+ cats.
· Day-to-day operations across the organization are carried out largely by over 400 volunteers.
· Since our inception, we have rescued over 8,000 animals.
· We spay/neuter every animal that we rescue.
· We offer volunteer opportunities for children and teenagers.
· Proceeds from our successful thrift shop help with the cost of caring for our animals.
· We partner with 13 area PetSmart and Petco stores to adopt out our cats, housing an average of 180 cats at these locations.
· We have earned 8 consecutive Best in America Seal of Excellence awards by Independent Charities of America.